Friday 28 April 2017
I did this gif through the inspiration of Sia's song bird set free. The animation is based on escaping from being trapped from the outside world. The song has another purpose which is to dream big and not let fear holding you back. The bird cage is the visual metaphor of it. I did this animation by graphite and ink. I put the animation together using the gif maker app on my iPhone. To develop it further, I try to add music to it and extend it further to make it look a full length animation.
During the talk that I attended to, Tiffany discussed her career as a creative director of Egmont publishing. She mentioned of what to consider when creating a narrative sequence. The main points to think about when planning out a story are;
- characters- main core of the story
- pace- read an image
- page layout/ number of pages/ connecting pages together
- Where do you want your reader to look?
- what colours and textures to consider when creating the moodiness of the characters/ will it also include silhouettes/ shadows when someone/thing is approaching
- format of the images- 32pp- 12 spreads-
- rule of structure- 3/6/3- for younger audience have the page lay out a square format
- viewpoint- what is going on in the story
- target audience- adult/ children/ young adult/ teens
The order of producing a storyboard are;
- problem develops
- conflict begins
- following actions- put yourself in other people shoes
Other things to consider when after producing a book are getting the sense of the target market- language distance/ visiting book shops, researching bloggers and retail buyers.
Wednesday 26 April 2017
When I attended the Gina Cross professional practice talk, she help me to enlighten on how I want to come across as an artist. Gina Cross is an art dealer and agent based in London. She does self-promotion workshops for inspiring artists that wants to develop their brand to lead to careers such as freelancer, graphic designer, illustrator, web designer, etc. Cross also worked for Gas Gallery. Gas Gallery represents artwork from artists that are both in the UK and international.
She showed examples of books that showed a variety of unique but subtle covers.
A Clockwork Orange (2011) edition, Anthony Burgess
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2015) edition, Lewis Carroll
The Language of the Birds, Russian Folklore- cover design, Rebecca Jones
During the talk, Gina mentioned there are many approaches on publishing artwork and prints not just for books and album covers. The other examples on expanding artwork are, gaming, product display, set design, retail window display, interior and mural design.
Absolut Vodka is a good example of product and packaging display because the designers that produce the artwork on the bottles shows the versatility of colour and technique. It also shows who product is targeted at.
Overall, the key aspects that will help me and others to build success in self-promotion are,
- Develop a unique & strong visual style
- Who are you as an artist?
- What are your strengths i.e., what techniques are you good at and how does approach towards your work?
- What tools do you need?
- Are you niche/ multidisciplinary?
- Who/what inspires you?
- Interpreting influences into your own style
- Look beyond the scope of Art & Design such as, travelling, going to exhibitions or events- festivals, reading and writing
- Do your research- finding information on who is your target audience when it comes producing and selling artwork online
- Further training/ skill development i.e. study a course online
- Be realistic about money but dare to dream & take risks!
- Use the most appropriate method for your style/ type of work or chosen industry
- Be persistent
- Don't sent work to the wrong people/clients
- Networking/ Using social media i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc.
- Be creative!
Recommendations on websites to find when it comes to either looking for a job or putting work online are,
- Oh Deer
- Not on the High Street
- The Dots.com
- Crafty Fox
Wednesday 19 April 2017
I made the sculpture of Melanie Martinez alter ego/ character, Crybaby out of clay. I created the concept of this piece through Martinez's self title album song which same exact name as her unique persona. I painted the bust using acrylics and brush pens. To step a forward, I going to edit the photo of the sculpture using photoshop and use as part of my poster that I've been working on for my FMP.