Tuesday 7 December 2021

Interview with Javie Huxley, Editorial Illustrator at Shado Mag and Gal Dem

 Producing a variety of editorial and cover illustrations referencing political and current events

Over the spring/ summer period, I had the pleasure to have a conversation with editorial illustrator, Javie Huxley who help guide me in my direction in the creative industry as an artist. In the interview, she discusses insight on making a name for yourself in the art world and how she finds inspiration in her illustrations through political and current events.

 What is your background? What does your work aim to say? 

I'm British-Chilean. My work focuses on identity and social justice. I create to celebrate marginalised communities and the people within them.

How does your work comment on social or political issues?

I choose to work on projects with BIPOC communities or that amplify any social or political issues faced by these communities.  

Who are your biggest influences, and why?

My biggest influences tend to be those close to me and the incredible people I meet through grassroots campaigning. 

How have you developed your career? 

I'm self-taught, so it took me a long time to build my confidence in my illustration. Doing a master’s in Children’s Illustration definitely gave me the time and space to focus on my illustration. However, for me, it's more about building relationships and putting the time into projects that match my personal beliefs.

How do you seek out opportunities?

A lot of the time it's through connecting with other artists and organisations. It was so fulfilling for me to find BIPOC communities online with shared experiences, and those connections have felt meaningful. Now, I tend to find most of my opportunities via word of mouth or through social media. 

How do you navigate the art world?

I'm a huge believer in building your own communities outside of institutions, which has helped me navigate the art world and sense of agency as a Latinx woman.  

How do you price your work? 

This is tricky because I know it varies from person to person. I usually charge my day rate where possible because it's usually way more convenient for me. However, you can join https://theaoi.com/ for more advice. 

Which current art world trends are you following? 

I try not to get too caught up in trends. I prefer to just get on with the things that feel important to me, otherwise, things can feel quite forced or overwhelming. However, I have enjoyed following digital trends in illustration and experimenting with things such as time-lapses, which has challenged me to try more unique ways to present my work online.






To check out her artwork, here are the links to her website and social media.

https://www.javiehuxley.com/

https://www.instagram.com/javhux/

https://twitter.com/JavHux

 

No comments:

Post a Comment